Friday, September 2, 2011

Victorian For Now

The Victorian era. It was a time of manners, romance and femininity (That's a fancy word for girliness) And constriction, unfortunately, seeing as that was a booming era for corset-makers. And while you probably don't want abdominal distention, you have to admit, that was a beautiful time. Well, I've wracked my brain, and found some looks that are Victorian, minus the corset.


I have a friend who is very into the Victorian era, and when I asked her what her idea of modern-day Victorian would look like, she gave me this......





Just......no.
Which tells me something. I need to get my friend into an eye appointment.
These two are much better. As you can see, their outfits are quite ladylike, and each has a preppy twist(argyle socks, poufy skirt) This is essentially Victorian chic.












In a way, Victorian is like girly-preppy to the max. Clean-cut, but with a feminine edge.
Anyway, there are a lot of ways Victorian can be......misinterpreted. If you're wearing a corset over your clothing and your skirt is a little too poufy, you're veering into steampunk territory. 
Which can be cute.....as long as you don't go overboard (see above)
Also, look into the details. Ruffles, lace, buttons and piping (and cameos)  are all subtle Victorian twists.
Victorian Chic








These are just a few ideas of mine, but you can make the Victorian Look all your own! Just stay out of Steampunk Territory.




Ciao!


P.S. Those of you going back to school soon, stay tuned! There's more to come.......

No comments:

Post a Comment